Last weekend I decided it was time again to completely update my eeePC. So I ran the command tantrum everybody knows:
apt-get update apt-get upgrade
and that gave me 287 new and updated packages.
After that I needed to reboot because I got a lot of new stuff.
Well, there the trouble began. No X, no network, no mouse, no USB etc. It was in a terrible state.
Digging around and repairing the odd stuff, I got X running, but still no mouse
and no network. I thought that there had to be a general problem, because it
looked impossible that everything was broken without some major hickup. Digging
further and further I suddenly noticed that I did have a lot of files with the
name ending in
dpkg-new. That gave me the clou that these where new configs
and new scripts that didn’t update the original ones. why wasn’t clear, first
get the thing up and running again.
Now it was time for drastic actions. I found that all this weirdness was in the
/etc directory so I created a small script to correct it. If it did work I
would have a running eeePC again. If it didn’t I would be in it very deep.
Here’s the script:
cd /etc for f in $(find . -type f -name \*.dpkg-new) do a=$(echo $f | sed 's/\.dpkg-new$//') mv $a $a.NOT mv $a.dpkg-new $a done
After running this everything worked again, like out of the box.
Now I only need to find out why the upgrade went sour. This blog will be updated as soon as I know.